Reid Landrovers, horsham surrey

Let others know about your experiences with companies and suppliers - both good and bad.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are moderated to ensure fairness. New posts will be approved by a moderator before being visible.
PJ_
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: Discovery Serengeti. Overlander

Reid Landrovers, horsham surrey

Postby PJ_ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:16 pm

Please copy & paste this SCAM to every other forum you can!

Hi PJ

Thanks very much for helping me with this. I'm very quickly running out of options. Clearly there's still a little way to run in terms of legal action, but I've uncovered a scam, and it's already happened to others around the same time. I really want to prevent this happening again and go some way to preventing him trading.

I advertised my vehicle, a land rover Defender 90 (07 plate), with Auto trader towards the end of October last year. I was very quickly contacted by James Reid, of Reid Land Rovers. H e told me that he had been approached by a potential buyer who was after my model of vehicle and whilst he had a similiar one in silver, the buyer was adamant that he wanted it in black. We agreed to place my vehicle on the garage forecourt on a sale or return basis for £20,300. The sale was agreed a number of weeks later and James agreed to electronically transfer the funds to my account. This did not happen as agreed and after a number of increasingly concerned phonecalls I realised something was amiss.

I travelled over to Reid Land rovers, on Mon 22 Dec 08 after being assured that there had been some confusion and that James would be there waiting for me with a banker's draft. Predictably James was nowhere to be seen and there was certainly no banker's draft. I met with Mat Wenman, who it subsequently seems is the directing mind of the outfit. He apologised profusly for james's behaviour and agreed to help in anyway he could. Unfortunately I was forced to leave to travel to Blackpool due to a death in the family, and I had to accept a cheque from his business account. After a Christmas and New year of worry and upset, the cheque bounced despite assurances from both James and Mat that the money was there.

I reported them to the police who took around two months to decide that they will not be following it up. apparently it is not in the public interest as they were unsure that they could secure a conviction. Trading Standards have been very helpful in terms of advice and regular updates, but they do not act for the particular client so can only do so much for me.

I therefore now have to decide whether to risk a civil prosecution as this may simply be throwing good money after bad. Reid Land Rovers, James Reid and Mat Wenman have set up quite an efficient scam. They are sole traders who rent their garage and office. The vehicles are all there on a sale or return basis and they there fore own very little for the courts or bailiffs to seize. That leaves only their personal possession and i have no idea whether there is enough to cover the debt owed to me, aswell as their outstanding obligations.

Please please please do not deal in anyway with Reid Land Rovers. Whether buying, selling or supplying you are likely to be taken for a ride. Now that they obviously know that the police cannot touch them they are free to continue this practice. As a footnote, trading standards have discovered that my vehicle was sold at auction for £14000 - a loss of £6300 - which suggests to me that they never intended to give me the money from day 1.

If anyone else has been stung in this way and would like to get in touch, please respond to this blog.

Ryan McGuirk

PJ - FWDC

Twitter & facebook search #pjssigns

61jason61
Advanced Driving Instructor
Vehicle: freelander td4
6 year old gypsy cob

Re: Landrover SCAM Warning

Postby 61jason61 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:34 pm

they've probably changed business names since and many times before. NEVER trust anyone with your cash or car!!

Ford Maverick, 2.7td & 6 year old gypsy cob

Alterastro
Vehicle: Nissan Patrol LWB Aussie import - 4.8litre petrol but with LPG!!

Postby Alterastro » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:20 pm

Unfortunately I know someone who has been ripped off by this pair too. To cut a long story short, he gave them £500 deposit for a Disco 2, but has never seen it or his money back although he has had several bounced cheques. He is currently going through small claims court, but as he cannot trace the owners home address he can only claim against Reid Landrovers, and chances of getting anything from them are next to zero.

As far as I'm aware, they are still trading, so be warned and stay away!

Nick :cry:

mudmagnet
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: td5 disco

Postby mudmagnet » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:31 pm

is this the reid landrovers based in horsham in sussex

i'm so skint i cant even pay attention

61jason61
6 year old gypsy cob

Postby 61jason61 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:31 pm

I wouldn't bother wasting money going through civil courts, theres no way the courts can force them to pay, they can order them to pay, but not take the money from them. county court judgements arn't worth the paper they're printed on, been there done that.

follow them home and do some damage to property.!!!!

Chastiser

Postby Chastiser » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:50 pm

i have posted this to Digg as well. Dig is very google optimised which means it will come highly on any landrover google searches.

Mike

taxfree
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: 1965 land rover 2a swb (gone)
1955 trials buggy
audi allroad 2.7t
audi quattro estate
V8 disco 2

Postby taxfree » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:45 pm

mudmagnet wrote:is this the reid landrovers based in horsham in sussex

Yes it is :angry: :angry:

Biosurf
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: Toyota Surf 1993 2nd Gen 3litre barrel of fun

Postby Biosurf » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Can I suggest that anyone who does post it on other forums put the name of the garage in question and where it is in the subject of the thread. It'll help with people searching in the future and would catch the eye of those most likely to be nearby and affected. 8)

We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing

Chastiser

Postby Chastiser » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Biosurf wrote:Can I suggest that anyone who does post it on other forums put the name of the garage in question and where it is in the subject of the thread. It'll help with people searching in the future and would catch the eye of those most likely to be nearby and affected. 8)

or just link to this article which is much easier and the original post and subsequent comments show location clearly etc.

Mike

AJS
Full Licence

Re: Landrover SCAM Warning! Reid landrovers horsham surrey

Postby AJS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:19 pm

This is theft, no if's or but's about it, and you say the Police will do nothing about it,

Things have changed so much over the years, sadly the Police powers are not what they used to be, we have been telling people to stay well away from these so called "motor traders" for years, I can remember 20 years ago taking the newspaper and filler out of rear crossmembers that they had just put through a new MOT, why are they allowed to keep getting away with it.

You must take this further and I do hope you get at least your money back plus costs.

Very best of luck.

Andy.

61jason61
6 year old gypsy cob

Postby 61jason61 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 pm

Biosurf wrote:Can I suggest that anyone who does post it on other forums put the name of the garage in question and where it is in the subject of the thread. It'll help with people searching in the future and would catch the eye of those most likely to be nearby and affected. 8)

if you put it in the post titile as suggested, it may help with google searches of similar. That was how i found a very friendly mercedes forum. via google.

Chastiser

Postby Chastiser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:27 pm

61jason61 wrote:

if you put it in the post titile as suggested, it may help with google searches of similar. That was how i found a very friendly mercedes forum. via google.

this thread is already listed on digg, which gets intensly searched by google.

Mike

taxfree
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: 1965 land rover 2a swb (gone)
1955 trials buggy
audi allroad 2.7t
audi quattro estate
V8 disco 2

Postby taxfree » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 am

Just done a google search for reid landrovers unfortunatly none of this thread seems to appear

nialdavies
Learner

Postby nialdavies » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Has anyone had any luck in tracking these conmen? I for one would be very interested in paying them a visit to reclaim a car of mine!!!

PJ_
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: Discovery Serengeti. Overlander

Postby PJ_ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:53 pm

The BBC were looking into it, last time i heard anything.

PJ - FWDC

Twitter & facebook search #pjssigns

Return to “Company Reviews”