Maroc 2018

Fancy some off-roading abroad? Look no further!
Urszilla
Learner
Vehicle: Mitsubishi shogun '99 2.8d

Maroc 2018

Postby Urszilla » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi everyone!
This is my first topic on this forum and I would like to share with you a nice experience that I had this year.

A couple of years ago, Facebook pushed in my news feed some pictures of a rally from Maroc organised by a company from Spain - all details are here : http://www.marocchallenge.com
Because I am just an amateur, I joined the Adventure category for un modified cars over 16 years old. I started the hunt for a car and 6 months later I founded a'99 shogun that was in my budget, was in pretty good shape and had some good reviews as off-roader :mrgreen:
First stop at the garage

b81c5211-c856-43ca-b0ce-8ccfcc3e9138.JPG

New clutch, new oil, filters, 4 newA/T ...and that's mainly it :yipi:
The way to Maroc was long...bloody long. Drive from Nottingham to Portsmouth, ferry to Bilbao, drive across Spain to Motril where we have met the rest of the participants, 130 cars in total!

From Motril we took another ferry to Nador where...after 3 hours border checks, another 9 hours drive to Erfoud.
Erfoud is a small town at the edge of Sahara desert where was the base of the race. People was staying in hotels or in camping, according to their personal wishes. In total we were almost 170 cars in different categories. Each car was filled with a tracking device and with maps for each race day.
The tracks were different every day in length and difficulty. They were also 5 recovery cars and 2 medical teams who were running along us to be able to help. I have to say that I felt very safe even in the deepest canyon or between the dunes where there was no mobile signal!
Because I don't want to became boring , I will try to add another few pictures

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

billbloke
Advanced Driving Instructor
Vehicle: Discovery, lifted, snorkel, protection, CB, Muds.
Ford Ranger
Range Rover Sport.

Re: Maroc 2018

Postby billbloke » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:38 am

Looks like a great adventure.
Looking forward to reading more.
Don’t be shy. Definitely not boring.

I got a truck and no one's trying to kill me, its a good day.

Sharky
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: Defender 90 300 Tdi

Postby Sharky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Looks and sounds great fun, would love to see more pictures

Urszilla
Learner

Postby Urszilla » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks Billbloke, thanks Sharky!
I promise that I will come with more details, but for the moment I struggle to resize the pictures and this is a big job for me on Ipad :angry:

timberjohn
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: Land Rover 90, OME 2" lift kit, winch, Cooper STT's, snorkel & a few other bits & pieces.

Postby timberjohn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for sharing with us :gr8: event looks like a lot of fun. :yes:
I think I recognise your truck from somewhere maybe just the registration, was the previous owner based in the south?

Urszilla
Learner

Postby Urszilla » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 pm

from south, indeed! if I remember well, previous owner was from Hasings

Urszilla
Learner

Postby Urszilla » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:49 pm

4.jpg

Back to the story!
Maroc seems to be a really safe country. The King Mohamed , whose picture is everywhere, is open minded and encourage the tourism. Everywhere, from the border to the edge of Sahara desert you can see police and army patrols. We finished the border checks around 6 pm and we had to drive 9 hours, over the mountains to Erfoud and even in the middle of the night and in the middle of nowhere, there were army patrols. Usually they don`t stop tourists, they don`t stop cars with foreign plates, unless you are really naughty.
The roads are good, but sometimes you drive more than 100 km to find a village or a petrol station.
Erfoud is a small town , east side of Atlas mountains, based , from what I was able to see in 6 days , on tourism. Our rally got together 180 cars, but they were at least another two or three races in the area, also motorbikes and quads. Specially morning and afternoons, the little town was buzzing with all sorts of vehicles more ore less prepared for off road adventures.
Erfoud is also the town where Peugeot has the training base for Dakar rally, but we did not see any signs of Carlos Sainz or Petheransel :mrgreen:
Marocans are very kind and friendly. Sometimes you might feel that they are a bit pushy when they are trying to sell you some things or when they want to invite you in their shops.

3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Holidays Abroad & Overlanding”