pyrenees

Fancy some off-roading abroad? Look no further!
kp nuts
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: 1983 landrover 110 safari, 2.8 diahatsu td engine!!
standard hd springs and shocks
husky winch

pyrenees

Postby kp nuts » Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 am

i am in the early stages of planning for a trip to the pyrenees --in fact all i have so far is the number of vehicles-4 and the dates-1st two weeks of september 2016
i know its a long way off but i am a firm beleiver in doing my homework and planning ahead
i have several questions
i know people on here have done it before so hopefully advise will come!

1, mapping, i currently run memory maps on i pad, i have contacted them and they only supply french mapping, is it possible to stay french side or do i need spanish mapping as well-if so from who
2, can anyone supply route information including any tips a sfar as wild camping/camping sites/possible weather condition/frendly garages ect - i would be happy to pay for good information
3, there is a book or books called "vibraction" do i need to be fluient in french to understand them?
4, once we reach the north end i hope to use about 6 days to get to the south end, is this viable?
5, any places to avoid like the plague!!?

i am happy to phone or e mail or even meet anyone who can help, i dont expect whoever to plan my trip for me but i do need some help/pointers
regards, kirk

Arnie De Beer
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: Defender 90 & Defender 110

Re: pyrenees

Postby Arnie De Beer » Mon May 04, 2015 11:31 am

Hi Kirk, if you need Spanish mapping why don't you try Motion-x? It's a free app for the iPad and is just as good as Memory Map. You can choose the areas you need and download the maps at home so you can run it off line when you're out and about. You can also upload gpx files of any routes you have pre-planned.

I'VE BEEN GIVING IT A LOT OF THOUGHT AND I DON'T THINK THAT BEING A RESPONSIBLE ADULT IS GONNA WORK FOR ME :|

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Mon May 04, 2015 1:03 pm

thank you rick, i will look into that, although i dont know if i need spanish mapping yet, have you any idea on costs for this?

Arnie De Beer
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: Defender 90 & Defender 110

Postby Arnie De Beer » Mon May 04, 2015 1:20 pm

kp nuts wrote:have you any idea on costs for this?

Yep, my favorite price, freeeeeee :yipi:

I'VE BEEN GIVING IT A LOT OF THOUGHT AND I DON'T THINK THAT BEING A RESPONSIBLE ADULT IS GONNA WORK FOR ME :|

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Mon May 04, 2015 2:59 pm

the only app on my phone is 79p? and doesnt give any indication of how much mapping is or at what scale ect

Alterastro
Vehicle: Nissan Patrol LWB Aussie import - 4.8litre petrol but with LPG!!

Postby Alterastro » Mon May 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Motion X uses a variety of maps - all free. Open cycle maps (road and terrain) can be downloaded in varying scales for offline use. It's a great app - well worth the money!

You can use Viewranger if you want, which is similar to MemoryMap and has maps for Spain (I think!) but you will pay a fair bit for it.

Have a look at Motion X - you will like it.

Nick :gr8:

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Tue May 05, 2015 8:29 am

ok i will do, any one else able to reply to any of my other questions?

Alterastro
Vehicle: Nissan Patrol LWB Aussie import - 4.8litre petrol but with LPG!!

Postby Alterastro » Tue May 05, 2015 9:40 am

1, mapping, i currently run memory maps on i pad, i have contacted them and they only supply french mapping, is it possible to stay french side or do i need spanish mapping as well-if so from who

Viewranger. They do a special Pyrenees map, 1:25,000. Includes all of the Pyrenees and at least 10km either side of the border. £59.99

2, can anyone supply route information including any tips as far as wild camping/camping sites/possible weather condition/frendly garages ect - i would be happy to pay for good information

Sorry, can't help with that. Although you could try viewranger and Everytrail. Both have user posted routes with descriptions.

3, there is a book or books called "vibraction" do i need to be fluient in french to understand them?

I'm pretty sure they are tulip diagram roadbooks. The notes will be in French but shouldnt be a problem to translate them before you set off.

4, once we reach the north end i hope to use about 6 days to get to the south end, is this viable?

You can do the pyrenees in 2 days or 20... Buy the roadbooks and they will give you a good idea of timescales and you can adapt as necessary.

5, any places to avoid like the plague!!?

Birmingham?

I'm off to the Alps next month, using a mixture of Motion-X, viewranger and info gathered from other sources. I'll be happy to share any routes when I'm back if thats of any interest?

N :gr8:

Return to “Holidays Abroad & Overlanding”