LandyLive! Stratford-upon-Avon Racecourse 7-8 June 2014

A place to organise greenlaning and other events

Moderator: Laning Co-ordinator

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the four wheel drive club or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.
Tom Mc
Experienced Driver

LandyLive! Stratford-upon-Avon Racecourse 7-8 June 2014

Postby Tom Mc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 am

Fancy representing the forum via a Club Display Stand? It’s a show for us enthusiasts (at last!!!), so it would be good to see you there.

Yes I realise it’s a Land Rover only event, but I’ve done my utmost in the past to include all four-wheel-drives and the fact is the vast majority of Jeep and Jap owners just don’t bother attending shows. On this occasion therefore it’s going to have to be one for the LR purists, that’s life!

Check out the website - http://www.landylive.com

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: 1983 landrover 110 safari, 2.8 diahatsu td engine!!
standard hd springs and shocks
husky winch

Re: LandyLive! Stratford-upon-Avon Racecourse 7-8 June 2014

Postby kp nuts » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 am

looks interesting, could tie it in with some laning possibly, will consider it

He who dares wins, rodders!!

PJ_
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: Discovery Serengeti. Overlander

Postby PJ_ » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:23 pm

After reading the web page. I can only say, the shops you need for the shows just won't deploy out any more, they make more money from their online shops than a show. Hence the "stale shows"

On the plus side it's always good for a gathering, and if the weather holds up it turns into a good ging gang gooly.

PJ - FWDC

Twitter & facebook search #pjssigns

Tom Mc
Experienced Driver

Postby Tom Mc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:57 pm

PJ_ wrote:After reading the web page. I can only say, the shops you need for the shows just won't deploy out any more, they make more money from their online shops than a show. Hence the "stale shows"

I agree to an extent about the online shops, but even with this type of trader, they often view shows as giant PR exercises where they can get out there and meet the buyers. David Bowyer is a classic example of this. He's been attending LR/4x4 shows since they started in earnest back in the 80's (long before the internet - this was when www stood for the "wibbly wobbly way") and he's built a successful business by meeting the public and demonstrating his wonderful winching wares ... that's another www!!! Remembering that for over 30 years he's competing against giants such as Warn - and now all the cheap Chinese imports - that's a pretty good effort for a small trader I'd say.

Whether the internet is around or not, shows will always be popular with traders, so as long as the platform is fresh, lively and not stale, they will stretch themselves in order to attend them.

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:50 pm

trade stalls are fine when they actually have somthing to do with what the show is about, how many times do you see kids toys and crap of every other type, it would be great for big suppliers to be there such as paddocks, britpart ect so we could put faces to names ect

Tom Mc
Experienced Driver

Postby Tom Mc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 pm

kpautos wrote:trade stalls are fine when they actually have somthing to do with what the show is about, how many times do you see kids toys and crap of every other type, it would be great for big suppliers to be there such as paddocks, britpart ect so we could put faces to names ect

See what you're saying, but obviously you haven't got a young family to think about. A craft/shopping type area is essential for a successful show.

When I used to regularly go down to a 4x4 club on a weekly basis, it was the same every time we talked about shows - all the single blokes would moan about events having to many stalls selling handbags/clothing/jewelry/toys/etc. - and the other men with families would moan about XXXXX show being too off-road orientated with not enough handbags/clothing/jewelry/toys/etc. as it kept their wives/girlfriends and kids happy. Can't win!

Okay, nowadays I don't have my children to think about as they are all big and grown up (physically if not mentally - I take full credit for that ;) ), but remembering when they were young - if the kids were happy, then my partner was happy, so I was happy; it's human nature. Think about it, it's not so bad for a family as day visitors, but if there all weekend they quickly become bored. It's either a case of providing something for them to look at or they stay at home ... and that ain't fair.

Terribly sexist comments I know, but that's exactly the way it is.

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks for telling me that I have no family or small kids to bring! As a long term attendee of American car shows I saw the trade stalls degenerate into a crap market stall fest selling anything but car related stuff, I also have ran several successful shows so know how difficult your task is, all I am saying is that the show,stalls,exhibits should be more 4x4related than not.
Good luck with the show

Tom Mc
Experienced Driver

Postby Tom Mc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:40 am

Take your point, I promise that Chinese windmills and tombola stalls with stuffed animals are most definitely banned! :gr8:

Chambers101
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: Land Rover 101, Range Rover Classic and a few other military stuff

Postby Chambers101 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:20 am

Good luck with your new show Tom, we might come by and have a wander as it's on the way to nan and grandads. Hope everything is ok with you up there.

Tom Mc
Experienced Driver

Postby Tom Mc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:34 am

Good stuff. Fingers crossed, will be good to see you. :yipi:

Smego
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: Merc for normal use and a 1988 110 Land Rover for when there are puddles around.

Postby Smego » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:43 pm

You never bloody told me about this one Tom, sometimes I think you just don't love me anymore??
So does this mean I have to come up in the old 110 and not the Nissan??

Nissan Patrol GR - for towing and a 1988 110 Land Rover for when there are puddles around.

Smego
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: Merc for normal use and a 1988 110 Land Rover for when there are puddles around.

Postby Smego » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:50 pm

Careful it could become a show like trentham where we actually had fun :-p 10 year plan so you will be erm.... cough cough run out of fingers... :love:

Nissan Patrol GR - for towing and a 1988 110 Land Rover for when there are puddles around.

Tom Mc
Experienced Driver

Postby Tom Mc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 am

Yes mate, Nissans are banned! And ... you really are a dipstick, I have 10 toes too!!! :P

Tom Mc
Experienced Driver

Postby Tom Mc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:01 am

Breaking news - back by public demand is the National 4x4 & British Off-Road Motorsport Show!!! Previously held between 2001-4, there were three editions of the event at Trentham Gardens in Stoke, the fourth at Shuttleworth in Bedfordshire.

Of late, non-Land Rover owners have been saying that it's a shame they couldn't be involved in LandyLive!so it's now been decided they can after all by having a section all of their own (Stratford Racecourse is BIG) so basically the event has turned into 2-shows-in-1. Better value for money, it's a win win situation for everyone. :yipi:

Smego
Experienced Driver

Postby Smego » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Yay! Mud run?? Off road course? Organisers disco?

Return to “Greenlaning and Other Events”