Salisbury Plains laning Sept 21st

A place to organise greenlaning and other events

Moderator: Laning Co-ordinator

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the four wheel drive club or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.
PortsmouthBiker
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: Isuzu Trooper 3.0 Diesel
AT tyres

Salisbury Plains laning Sept 21st

Postby PortsmouthBiker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm planning a little days' laning on the Plains this Sunday Sept 21st. Always best to go with company, so, anyone want to tag along?

No, I'm not an old hand at laning in th Plains, but I do have a GPS map and the definitive online map to pick lanes from. Yes I have a CB, hopefully you do too (not vital). Yes I got AT tyres, but I don't plan anything way out, road tyres -should- do.

The trip is subject to the weather, if it's bad, no go. Subject also to the MoD not shelling half of it, but I may have some alternatives.

The trip is also subject to no Club events at the same time, if there are I'll probably be going to the club event anyway and hopefully I'd see you there.

Subject to common sense rules too. No, I've not led any groups, so this would be a first. Bring recovery gear (tow ropes) in case one gets stuck (doubtful). It should be a very novice-friendly trip, and I'm hoping the weather will be fairly reasonable.

Maximum group size is 4, so three others - I'd suggest a 10AM start at Contessa services. Map & details to follow.

Interested? Let me know!

Those attending:

1. Me (duh)
2. lostscot
3. kdev
4. daniel2609

Update: Friday 19th.

According to the MOD phone helpline, Salisbury Plains are OPEN over the weekend as best I can make out. Weather seems okay, so, I'd suggest meeting here:

Shell
A303 Countess Services
Countess Road
Salisbury SP4 7AS

junction of A345 and A303 @ 10:30 AM.

Very Lastly

Please let's not forget there's those who want to see 4x4s taken off off-roading. And let's remember we got one country. So let's tread lightly, play nicely, stick to the track, and if in doubt, don't do it! And let's remember to take our trash home again. But most importantly, let's enjoy a good days' laning!

Positively the last update!

According to the weather forecast, Sunday 10 AM - 4 PM we can expect constant sunshine. So the weather looks promising :)

littlejimny
Vehicle: standard jimny

Re: Salisbury Plains laning Sept 21st

Postby littlejimny » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Tempting, I've been out this weekend fannying about in cars, going to goodwood revival on Thursday - mon next week

I wonder if another weekend is pushing my luck!

Arek
Full Licence
Vehicle: Skoda :-)

Postby Arek » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:26 pm

If it is for newbies. I'm in :-)
Also have CB and GPS :mrgreen:

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: 1983 landrover 110 safari, 2.8 diahatsu td engine!!
standard hd springs and shocks
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Love to but too far for a day trip, we've done it twice, first time in a day second time we stayed for two nights, good luck with organising your trip, hopefully some of the club will come along and help you as 90% are close by

darkstar
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: land rover discovery 300 tdi with 2" lift ,tyres,cb plenty off scratchs and smiles
Click

Postby darkstar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi guys I see your planning a trip, I just need to make sure you know where your going ;) Things on the plains have changed recently your OS maps will not be correct please be sure you are driving on byways at all times and be aware that some change status part way along, it's made driving here interesting for the experienced.
Thanks
ROW team ;)

Dirty_Smurf
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: 300 tdi disco rooflights steering guard 2 inch lift td5 facelift lights also a LR D3 with AT's

Postby Dirty_Smurf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 pm

I believe the MOD are still using covert cameras aswell cos the place is getting misused but this shouldn't stop ya laneing :gr8:

Just call me Tony
Swift & Bold

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Perhaps some local knowledge with route planning would be helpful, if latest o/s maps and online resources are no good the only hope is that there is excellent signage or some inside help

Dirty_Smurf
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: 300 tdi disco rooflights steering guard 2 inch lift td5 facelift lights also a LR D3 with AT's

Postby Dirty_Smurf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 pm

kp nuts wrote:Perhaps some local knowledge with route planning would be helpful, if latest o/s maps and online resources are no good the only hope is that there is excellent signage or some inside help

I would love to but in Canada training till November but I think the online sources are good to cross ref ya os map :gr8:

Just call me Tony
Swift & Bold

timberjohn
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: Land Rover 90, OME 2" lift kit, winch, Cooper STT's, snorkel & a few other bits & pieces.

Postby timberjohn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:51 am

Jason has been in touch from an early stage and know's where to get some help if needed.

darkstar
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: land rover discovery 300 tdi with 2" lift ,tyres,cb plenty off scratchs and smiles
Click

Postby darkstar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Ok John just didn't want him driving around with another new guy looking lost ;) It can be tricky out there.
Kirk, John has given Guidance and you know the policy on routes, I would like to lead him round but we are planning a night laneing soon for this area.
Paul

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Can't wait to get back down your way!

kp nuts
Driving Examiner
husky winch

Postby kp nuts » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Can't wait to get back down your way!

PortsmouthBiker
Experienced Driver
AT tyres

Postby PortsmouthBiker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:35 pm

darkstar wrote:Hi guys I see your planning a trip, I just need to make sure you know where your going ;) Things on the plains have changed recently your OS maps will not be correct please be sure you are driving on byways at all times and be aware that some change status part way along, it's made driving here interesting for the experienced.
Thanks
ROW team ;)

Quite correct! I've been careful to make sure I know what I'm doing, or at least that I can demonstrate that I think I know what I'm doing!

I've got a GPS map (ViewRanger), I've got the map tiles for the area, and I got access to the Wiltshire County Council map, which I'm told is accurate. So I'm pretty sure I won't be going off-piste. Any doubts, naturally it'll be erring on the side of caution. I've had some very informative chats with timberjohn (thanks for that again, by the way!).

PortsmouthBiker
Experienced Driver
AT tyres

Postby PortsmouthBiker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:38 pm

darkstar wrote:we are planning a night laneing soon for this area.

A night laning, you say? That does sound awfully fun.

I'm guessing I might need to upgrade the lamps on my truck, little better than candles on the bumper :lol:

darkstar
Laning Co-ordinator
Click

Postby darkstar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:39 pm

Kirk let me know when and we will sort it, and Jason great to read good luck and keep on track ;) :)

Return to “Greenlaning and Other Events”