Drive failure only in high range, any ideas?

Defender (1983 - onwards) 90/110
bobdaba
Learner
Vehicle: Defender TD5

Drive failure only in high range, any ideas?

Postby bobdaba » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi, Defender TD5 2006 90k miles, grating noise when setting off in high range and no forward movement. Driving forwards in any gear ok in low range, any ideas please?

Sharky
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: Defender 90 300 Tdi

Re: Drive failure only in high range, any ideas?

Postby Sharky » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Bob, it sounds like it’s not engaging hi range properly, you’ll probably need to remove the transmission tunnel and check the linkage from the transfer box gear lever to the transfer box to see if it is worn and has play in it, thus not giving it the throw it needs to engage properly. If this is the case it’s a cheap fix albeit a bit fiddly. Hope this helps.

timberjohn
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: Land Rover 90, OME 2" lift kit, winch, Cooper STT's, snorkel & a few other bits & pieces.

Postby timberjohn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello Bob and welcome to the club. :gr8:

As Sharky has said this is a transfer box problem, if you are lucky it will be the selector linkage rod between the low range lever and the transfer box. If less lucky and its an internal fault then the transfer box will need to be dropped out to enable strip down. :( If you are able to do the work yourself the parts for the transfer box are fairly cheap and easy to obtain.
Fingers crossed you are lucky. :yes:

bobdaba
Learner
Vehicle: Defender TD5

Postby bobdaba » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi and thank you for your replies, I did more checks at the weekend and I have informed you incorrectly. It only gets drive when dif lock is on high or low range. I also saw oil leaking from the rear diff. Diff died maybe? Many thanks

timberjohn
Laning Co-ordinator
Vehicle: Land Rover 90, OME 2" lift kit, winch, Cooper STT's, snorkel & a few other bits & pieces.

Postby timberjohn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:38 pm

bobdaba wrote:Hi and thank you for your replies, I did more checks at the weekend and I have informed you incorrectly. It only gets drive when dif lock is on high or low range. I also saw oil leaking from the rear diff. Diff died maybe? Many thanks

Diff or possibly half shaft failure, oil leaks are, shall we say, "not unusual" it is a Land Rover after all. :mrgreen:

Return to “Defender, 90 and 110”