Gearbox

Discovery (1998 - 2004)
thatcherben
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: disco 300tdi de-cat downpipe, egr gone, full width allisport interccoler, fuel pump turned up a bit

Gearbox

Post by thatcherben » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:55 pm

I've had all oils inc gearbox oil replaced, had a new clutch and flywheel done very recently, but even from before then, since buying the disco I've noticed that on a long motorway drive it gets more difficult to select the gears, they all go in eventually but needs help, as soon as I'm on B roads it's works just fine and all gears work 100%.
Anyone else had this?
I'm thinking something to do with oil temp? No idea. I can live with it but it annoys me..

ratrace
Advanced Driving Instructor
Vehicle: 1989/90 MITSUBISHI PAJERO EXCEED 2.5 LWB

1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY TDI MODIFIED OFF ROAD

Re: Gearbox

Post by ratrace » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:06 pm

did you put the right oil?

thatcherben
Experienced Driver
Vehicle: disco 300tdi de-cat downpipe, egr gone, full width allisport interccoler, fuel pump turned up a bit

Post by thatcherben » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:44 am

It was changed by my local mechanic, and he is a landrover nut so I'm guessing he knows what to put in it. But the fact that it was doing it before means it's not the new oil at least..

PJ_
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: Discovery Serengeti. Overlander

Post by PJ_ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:09 am

I've had this, it feels like your oil turns to porridge. It doesn't tho, it's the bits that hold the stick getting warm, sorry for the (lack of) technical explanation.
PJ - FWDC

Twitter & facebook search #pjssigns

PJ_
Driving Examiner
Vehicle: Discovery Serengeti. Overlander

Post by PJ_ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:15 am

Copied in

This is a common problem i am affraid and the only cure is to remove the gear lever assembly and clean/wire wheel the 'ball' then re-assemble with new nylon bush. The steel ball gets dirty and the nylon bush swells when hot this results in a very stiff feel to the shift (when hot), when cold it's usually ok.
PJ - FWDC

Twitter & facebook search #pjssigns

thatcherben
Experienced Driver

Post by thatcherben » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks for that guys, it explains it well and sounds like just the issue I have, as I said I can prob live with it especially if it's not a progressive prob that's gonna get worse.
Cheers
Ben